The award for the best dissertation, the so called “dissertatieprijs” is a biennial prize that is granted to the best dissertation written by VNOP members and supervised by at least one VNOP member. It consists of a certificate and 250 euro.
The award is presented during the biennial VNOP conference. The dissertations have to be defended during the period of two years between March 1st of the year of the previous conference to March 1st of the year of the actual VNOP conference.
- The “dissertation award-committee” of the VNOP acts as jury for this award. This committee consists of professors of developmental psychology or pedagogy, many with experience as board member of the VNOP.
- Announcement of the committee is the responsibility of the board. Repeated announcement is possible. The jury itself decides on the procedure they aim to follow to make a choice.
- The jury is supported by the VNOP secretary.
- The VNOP sends out a call to send the dissertation and apply for the price each January before the VNOP conference. The candidate submits a digital version of the thesis, together with a plea from one of their (co-) promotors in which he or she argues why this thesis deserves to receive the award, to the VNOP secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org) before the first of March following the call.
- The jury select three nominees and the winner before the first of May of each conference year. In the jury report the jury describes the procedure they followed, and the arguments they used for selection. Not nominated dissertations are not mentioned. This report is presented during the next VNOP board meeting (ALV).
- These nominees are informed ASAP, and their names will be mentioned in the conference program.
- The three nominees are asked to give a short presentation at the beginning of the conference.
- The winner will be announced during the Business Meeting (ALV).
- The executive board of the VNOP takes care that the award can be handed over by the president of the jury during the ALV.
The committee for 2018 will consist of:
- Maurits van der Molen
- Hans Koot
- Wim Meeus
- Paul van Geert
- Maartje Raaijmakers