Assistant Professor, Department of Developmental Psychology, University of Amsterdam.
The Department of Developmental Psychology at University of Amsterdam is looking for an Assistant Professor. The position is 45% research and 55% teaching. Application deadline is June 7, 2021.
Do you have a PhD degree, preferably experience as a postdoctoral researcher and are you specialized in clinical developmental psychology and/or health psychology? The programme group Developmental Psychology, Department of Psychology of the Faculty of Social and Behavioral Sciences currently has an opening for an Assistant Professor.
As an assistant professor you:
- have a specialization in one of the following fields: clinical developmental psychology (internalizing or externalizing problems, learning difficulties, autism spectrum disorders, mild to borderline intellectual disability, aging) and/or health psychology (stress, obesity, addiction, sexual risk taking, loneliness);
- contribute to recent developments in prevention and treatment in mental health and school contexts, e.g. personalized care, E-Health, the role of multi-comorbidity, the role of culture, the effect of (online) social contexts, and the effects of social inequality;
- adopt an experimental approach, including prevention and intervention studies.
What will you be doing?
You are expected to:
- actively contribute to the broad and diverse teaching and research profile of the programme group;
- teach courses in the BSc-, MSc, and Research Master’s- of our department and in the bachelor psychobiology;
- supervise undergraduate students;
- develop, carry-out and supervise research at a high academic level, develop an independent line of research, allowing for collaboration with other researchers working in the programme group developmental psychology;
- acquire and help to acquire external funding for research;
- engage in activities in the public sphere and in other arenas outside academia;
- carry out administrative tasks;
- contribute to a fair and collegial working atmosphere.
- a PhD degree and preferably experience as a postdoctoral researcher;
- a strong track record in one of the above-mentioned specializations;
- a proven record of, and commitment to, the adoption of good research practices (e.g. pre-registration);
- commitment to acquire research funding from external sources (e.g. Netherlands’ Organization for Scientific Research, the European Research Council, or other research councils, European Union, or other national and international funding agencies);
- a proven record of high-quality teaching at BSc- and MSc-level and a strong commitment to teaching;
- commitment to supervise bachelor and master theses;
- commitment to carry out administrative tasks;
- commitment to valorize research;
- commitment to cooperate with several members of the programme group developmental psychology, both in teaching and in in research;
- excellent knowledge of spoken and written English;
- the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification or Senior Teaching Qualification (or foreign equivalents), or are willing to acquire such a qualification on a fairly short term;
- working proficiency in the Dutch language or the willingness develop this within two years.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
We offer a full-time contract for 38 hours per week. Employment will initially be on a temporary basis for a total period of three years (two years plus one), with conditions of a tenured appointment agreed upon at the time of hiring. The preferred starting date is 1 July 2021. Salary depends on past education and relevant work experience, with a minimum salary of €3,746 and a maximum salary of €5,127 gross per month in keeping with scale 11, as per the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities). Additionally, we offer an extensive package of secondary benefits, including 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of 8.3%.
University of Amsterdam
With over 6,000 employees, 30,000 students and a budget of more than 600 million euros, the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is an intellectual hub within the Netherlands. Teaching and research at the UvA are conducted within seven faculties: Humanities, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Economics and Business, Law, Science, Medicine and Dentistry. Housed on four city campuses in or near the heart of Amsterdam, where disciplines come together and interact, the faculties have close links with thousands of researchers and hundreds of institutions at home and abroad.
The UvA’s students and employees are independent thinkers, competent rebels who dare to question dogmas and aren’t satisfied with easy answers and standard solutions. To work at the UvA is to work in an independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterised by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society.
Do you have any questions or do you require additional information? Please contact